CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A delicious meal!

I enjoy cooking. However, don't really enjoy what comes afterwards..washing dishes :-/ but, "gotta do what I gotta do" Today, I had a very relaxing day. Unsual for a typical Saturday. My family and I usually go out on the weekends.. but, today we decided to stay home. I've been trying to eat healthier this past two weeks. I had too much fun eating during Christmas time, actually since Thanksgiving hahaha, and I want to get back to my healthy routine( not the best part but, I know that at the end it's good for me, and that's what makes it all better)
I try to eat healthy during week days and give myself treats on the weekends. Today, was no exception...I'm Peruvian :) and grew up enjoying and eating the most delicious food there is (to my taste) :)

I wanted to shared what I had for lunch today; it's called "Arroz con pollo(Peruvian style) & Papa a la Huancaina (one of my fave's) . I hadn't had this delicious plate in a long time and I'm glad I decided to make it today. I wanted to take pictures while preparing it but, my camera runned out battery.. So, I just took a picture of my plate. I'm also including receipes for both in case you want to try to make it. :) Hope you are having a great weekend!  God bless!

PS. after I devoured this delicious plate got my hour workout done! (don't feel that guilty now.. lol)
"gotta do what I gotta do!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Receipe for "Arroz con Pollo"

8 pieces of chicken ( I used drumsticks) 
1Tblsp of Aji Amarillo(yellow hot pepper sauce)
 1/2tsp of pepper, cummin, seasoning, and palillo (tumeric)
1/2 cup oil
1 big red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, blended in a food processor with a little water
1/2 cup of beer(your preference)
2 bell peppers, sliced for added color (1 red or yellow)
3 cups rice
1 cup diced carrots/ peas  
2 1/2 cups of water or chickenstock 
 
Directions
 
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Fry in oil until golden and remove from fire. Leave to cool.

In the same oil, saute the chopped garlic, onion, the rest of the condiments, aji amarillo and cilantro. Add the chicken and stir for 2 - 3 minutes. Add beer and simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked. Add the rice and mixed peas. Mix well for a couple of minutes. Add water (salt if needed) add the sliced bell pepper and simmer for another 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and slightly burnt at the bottom

Papa a la huancaina

Ingredients

3-4 Potatos (boiled)
3 hard-boiled eggs
1 tablespoon Aji Amarillo
1 Garlic clove
1/2 cup evaporated milk
6-7 saltine crackers (crushed)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
150 g fresh cheese(queso fresco) 
salt  
lettuce leaf

Directions
Peel and slice potatoes and arrange over lettuce leaves. Use blender to combine ají amarillo, evaporated milk, crackers, oil , garlic and cheese. Blend until creamy and adjust for consistency by adding more milk or more crackers. Taste for saltiness. Spoon this cream over potatoes and lettuce and garnish with sliced hard boiled eggs.


0 comments: